Microsoft Windows 10 allows you are try some of the new features under the Windows Insider Program. These features are not yet available for the release builds and only available as experiment for the Beta and the Dev channel. In the latest Windows 10 Dev build 20161, Microsoft has announced a newly designed Start Menu. This new Start Menu has theme aware tiles in the Start and their background colors matches perfectly with the currently active themes. However, this newly designed Start Menu must be unlocked first. We can use an open-source tool called ViVe Tool for unlocking the Start menu.
Here is how you can unlock the newly designed Start Menu in Windows 10:
- First of all make sure that you are running Windows 10 Build 20161 or above. Since this build is available only from the Dev build channel, you have to get it from the Windows Insider program For this, you have to join the Windows Insider program details of which can be had at https://insider.windows.com/en-us/getting-started.
- Check your Windows 10 build by clicking on the Start, typing winver and pressing Enter. The window that appears will show Windows 10 version and build. As previously mentioned, build must be equal to 20161 or higher than it.
- Download ViVe Tool from https://github.com/thebookisclosed/ViVe/releases.
- Launch an administrator level Command Prompt and give the command: ViveTool.exe addconfig 23615618 2 in this window. This command adds a feature with ID 23615618 and enables it.
- Restart your Windows 10 PC and you have a brand new Start menu for your use.
At any later time if you want to disable this Start Menu then you can disable this feature using the same tool by giving the command ViveTool.exe addconfig 23615618 1 or you can delete the config about this feature in the same manner using the command ViveTool.exe delconfig 23615618 after which you have to restart Windows 10 PC for the changes to take effect.