Media Player Classic – Black Edition (MPC-BE) is an open-source media player that is based on now-abandoned MPC-HC project (Media Player Classic – Home Cinema). It is a great alternative to the Windows Media Player that comes pre-installed on Windows 10. It can load ISO images of DVD and Blu-ray discs directly without having to mount them first in the operating system.
MPC-BE is highly customizable and you can change its options to personalize it. But sometimes when you make changes to crucial player settings and it stops working like it used to, the only recourse is to reset the player settings.
Here is how you can reset Media Player Classic BE (MPC-BE) settings:
- Launch MPC-BE from its desktop shortcut.
- When MPC-BE window is visible, select View → Options from the menubar.
- In the Options window, select the Miscellaneous section.
- From under the Settings Management section, click on the Reset button.
- Choose Yes when asked to confirm the resetting of MPC settings to default values.
You can also remove MPC-BE settings manually from Windows in the following manner:
- Close all the running instances of MPC-BE.
- Right-click on the MPC-BE shortcut on windows desktop and select Open file location from the right-click menu. This will open MPC-BE folder where MPC-BE program files are copied.
- Find a file named mpc-be64.ini or mpc-be.ini in this folder and delete it.
In case you have chosen to store the settings in the Windows Registry, you will have to delete these settings from the Registry in this manner:
- Press Win+R to open the Run dialog and enter regedit in the Run dialog to launch Registry Editor.
- Navigate to the following branch of Registry: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MPC-BE
- Right-click on the key name MPC-BE and select Delete from the context-menu.
When you relaunch MPC-BE, it will recreate all the default values in the settings.