Media Player Classic – Black Edition or MPC-BE in short is a very popular media player for Windows. It retains the original look of the classic media player that used to be included with Windows. It is able to play all sorts of video files especially if you have a popular codec pack such as K-Lite Mega Codec pack installed on your system. In fact, many of these codec packs often include MPC-BE or MPC-HC regularly.
One problem some of the Windows users face is that they are unable to associate MPC-BE with the video files and WMP stays as the default video player. In some cases, Windows reverts the changes made to default video player settings and set WMP once again as the default player.
Here is how you can set MPC-BE to be the default video player on a Windows 10 PC:
- Download and install MPC-BE from https://www.videohelp.com/software/MPC-BE. Both the 32-bit and 64-bit versions are available, you should download the one that works for your system’s architecture.
- Right-click on the MPC-BE shortcut or its EXE file and choose Run as administrator from the context-menu.
- In the MPC-BE window, select View and then Options from the menubar. You can also press O on your keyboard.
- In the options window, select Formats category under Player.
- Click on Video to select all the video file formats and then click on the Apply button.
- Windows settings will open up for default apps. Click on the Video Player and then choose MPC-BE from the list.
- Now you have set MPC-BE as the default video player for all the supported video file types.
These steps work for both the installed version of MPC-BE and its portable version. In order to launch MPC-BE with administrator level access, you have to right-click on the EXE file of MPC-BE in the case of the portable version. Whereas in the case of the installed version, we have to right-click on the desktop or start menu shortcut of MPC-BE.