Notepad++ is perhaps the most popular text editor in the world. It is free for everyone and it works seamlessly on any Windows PC. It comes with so many features that any Windows user finds it useful for their own particular work. Notepad++ became so much popular because it provides so many extra and useful features compared to the plain old Notepad editor that comes bundled with Windows.
For more than a decade Windows Notepad did not undergo any visible change so when Notepad++ surfaced, people grabbed it like there is no tomorrow. Some experts even go to the length of saying that it has filled the void left by Windows Notepad.
One of the most popular aspect of using Notepad++ is that it can be easily customized. We can install new plugins to add more features to the already large number of features offered by Notepad++. For example, we can add a new plugin called RunMe to run any batch scripts from within Notepad++.
Similarly, we can personalize Notepad++ by adding a custom text string in all the Notepad++ windows. For example, we can add our name to Notepad++ window title. Anytime someone launched Notepad++, it will show your name in the window. Here is how it is done:
- Right-click on Notepad++ shortcut on the desktop and select Properties from the context menu.
- In the properties windows, select the Shortcut tab.
- In the target text box append a space and then -addTitle=”Name” where Name is your own name. If your name is Trisha, then it becomes -addTitle=”Trisha”. Of course, it can be any other custom text as you decide.
- Click on the OK button to save the shortcut properties.
- Now if you launch Notepad++ using this shortcut, it will show your name in the Notepad++ window title.
For this to work, you have to launch Notepad++ only through this shortcut. If you already have some Notepad++ windows open, then you should first close them. So this is one of the ways in which you can personalize your copy Notepad++ which is installed on your PC.