Twitter introduced a new feature called Spaces last year. And now Spaces has become very popular among the Twitter users. Spaces makes a bridge from the text based messaging to the voice base conversations. Users start by creating a “Space” and sending invitations to their followers. When the followers receive this notification that someone is hosting a Space, they may decide to join that Space and take part in audio conversation. In addition to the audio conversation, participants can also send text messages as usual.
The Twitter Space host (the person who started it) controls everything who can speak and when. If someone becomes rude, they can be silenced too by the host. Twitter Spaces are a great way to hold a good productive conversation with your followers. It is used by many celebrities, political figures and professionals.
When you join a Space, all the participants in that Space can see that you have joined that Space even if you do not speak and just listen to others without even sending any text messages. In addition, all of your followers can see that you have joined a certain Space even if they don’t join it.
If you do not want any of your followers to discover which of the Spaces you are participating in, then you can make some changes in your Twitter account’s privacy settings. Here is how:
- Launch the Twitter app on your smartphone. Tap on your profile picture to open the menu and select Settings and privacy from the Twitter menu.
- From the settings menu, select Privacy and safety.
- Under the Privacy & safety settings, select Spaces. which is listed under the category “Your Twitter activity”.
- Disable the setting named Let followers see which Spaces you are listening to.
- Tap on the back button to close the open setting screen.
Desktop browser users can go straight to https://twitter.com/settings/spaces to turn off this setting. This is the only privacy setting available on Twitter as of now. It prevents your followers to see your Spaces activity but anybody (including your followers) in the same Space can see when you join that Space.