A few years ago Apple had introduced a new image file format on the macOS called HEIC. These images offered much higher quality than the popular image formats like JPEG. Now there is a new image file format called AVIF (sometimes also AV1). According to the developers, AVIF provides better compression than the popular JPEG formats but offers much finer image quality. AVIF is now supported by many operating systems, image viewers, image editors, and programming languages such as PHP.
AVIF is definitely going to gain more popularity in the coming years. If you have any AVIF image files, then you can convert them to JPG or PNG formats for the time being so that you can open them in your image viewer.
Here is how we can convert AVIF images to JPEG or PNG images online:
- Visit https://avif2jpg.com/ in your web browser.
- Drag-n-drop one or more than one of the AVIF images on the webpage in the space provided.
- In the options, you have to select the output file format PNG or JPEG, you have to select size scaling factor, and the quality. The size scaling factor can make the output image larger or smaller.
- Finally, you can click on the Start button next to an AVIF image in the list to convert it. Or you can click on the Convert All AVIF button to convert all the added AVIF images.
- The converted JPEG or PNG files will be downloaded to your computer in just a few seconds.
If you are having difficulty opening AVIF image files, then you can use XNView, a free image viewer for Windows which has in-built support for the AVIF image file format. Similarly, if you want to edit AVIF image files on Windows, then free Paint.net has full support for opening and saving AVIF as well as HEIC image files.