There are many url shortners out there like TinyURL, Bit.ly etc. You can use them to create a shortened URL (actually a shortcut to the real URL). Now Google has started its own URL shortner called Goo.gl. This is experimental and is usable withing Google services like GMail. But you can use a plugin in Google Chrome browser to shorten just any URL. Here is how :
- Visit https://chrome.google.com/extensions/ in the Google Chrome browser.
- Click on the blue Install button to install the ChromePad extension
- It will prompt you for confirmation. Click on Install to proceed.
- After this goo.gl extension is installed in your Chrome browser you would see a green colored icon in the Chrome toolbar, next to the location bar (where you type the web site address).
- When you want to create a short URL of the current open web site in the Google Chrome browser, just click on this icon of goo.gl extension. You will immediately see the shortened goo.gl URL as shown :