When you open an unknown file type in Windows, it shows you a dialog to use web service to find a suitable program to open that file. This dialog has two options to choose from – Use the web service to find the correct program, and Select a program from the list of installed programs as shown.
Many users do not like this dialog and want to go straight to the list of installed programs to choose from. You can disable this dialog by following the instructions below :
- Press the key combination Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog.
- In the Run dialog, type regedit and press Enter to run the Windows Registry Editor.
- In the Registry Editor, navigate to the following registry key :
If this key does not exist then create it by right clicking on Policies and choosing New → Key.
- Right click on anywhere in the right-side pane and select New → DWORD (32-bit) Value to create a new DWORD value. Name the new registry value as NoInternetOpenWith
- Double click on NoInternetOpenWith to modify its value data. Set its value to 1. Click OK when done.
- Restart the computer or log off and then log on for the changes to take effect.