Do you switch to the Gmail page again and again to check if a new e-mail has arrived? There is good news for you, now you can enable Desktop Notifications for Gmail so that you receive a notification in your web browser when a new e-mail arrives or someone sends a chat message. It does not matter whether Gmail is open in your active browser tab or not. Here is how :
Note : As of now Gmail Desktop Notifications are only supported by the Google Chrome web browser.
- Visit https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1#settings in your web browser to open Gmail settings for your account.
- Scroll down to find the Desktop Notifications section.
- Select Chat notifications on and New mail notifications on.
- Click on the link that says Click here to enable desktop notifications for Gmail as shown. This and the next step may not be available for all the users depending on your browser settings.
- The web browser would ask for confirmation to enable the desktop notifications. Click on the Allow button as shown.
- Scroll down and click on the button labeled Save Changes to save the settings.
- That’s it. You have turned on the desktop notifications for Gmail in your web browser.
For more information you can visit Google’s help page : http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=1075549.