In the latest version of Windows, version 8.1, Microsoft has added support for customizing the Start screen background image to be the same as your Windows desktop background. But if you are still using the Windows version 8, then you can also set a custom background for the Start screen using a free tool called Windows 8 Start Screen Customizer. Here is how you can set the custom image for the Start screen in Windows 8:
- First of all, download the Windows 8 Start Screen Customizer from the link given at the bottom of this page.
- Extract the contents of the 7Z archive to a folder and run ModernUIStartScreen.exe from there. You may have to rename .EX_ file to .EXE extension file first.
- In the Windows 8 Start Screen Customizer window, click on the Load Picture button to select an image file that you want to select as the Start screen background. Drag the rectangle to select the area of the picture that you want to set as background.
- You can also adjust some other settings like Start screen opacity, Tiles opacity and Gaussian blurring for the background. After this you can click on the Apply & Save button to save the settings.
- Now you can press the Windows logo key to switch to the Start screen and see you new background. If you do not see the background, then just log off and then log on to Windows.
You can download the Windows 8 Start Screen Customizer from http://vhanla.deviantart.com/.