In the old days when we had to verify the authenticity of paper documents, we used a myriad of methods – signing the documents, putting rubber stamps, using seals and official letterheads and so on. In the modern world times, we cannot possibly put a rubber stamp on the electronic documents, but we can digitally sign them to show the authenticity of the creator or sender of the document. The digital signatures are verified by renowned organizations like Verisign, GeoTrust, Comodo or DigiSign. Most of these organizations charge you a little money for allowing to use their services except DocuSign that allows you free document signing for personal accounts. Here is how you can digitally sign your documents for free with DocuSign personal account:
- First of all visit DocuSign website and sign up for a personal account. This involves supplying your name & email address and subsequently verifying the email address.
- After you have logged in to your DocuSign personal account, you can edit your personal details and upload or create a signature. You can also upload your picture to your user account.
- Switch to the Documents section in your account.
- Click on New and then select Sign a Document from the drop-down menu.
- Click on Add Document and then choose a document from cloud storage or upload a document from your local computer. It supports many cloud services like box, Dropbox, Google Drive, Evernote, Salesforce, Onedrive etc. You can choose many different types of editable documents like documents created by Microsoft Word, PowerPoint and Excel etc. Click on the Sign button to continue.
- You will be shown an interface where you can edit the document and drop various elements on it, for example, your signature, name, initials, etc. Once done, you can click on the Finish button.
- The selected document is signed and saved in your DocuSign account. You can download it along with the certificate of authenticity (both in the PDF format) from the Documents section of your account.
Conclusion: DocuSign allows free-of-charge digital document signing for casual users through their personal accounts. This is a great service for individuals who want to prove the authenticity of their documents sent online to others.