When you are upgrading your motherboard’s BIOS, it is suggested that you use only the software supplies by your motherboard’s manufacturer. But if you want to selectively update only portions of the UEFI BIOS then you can use the UEFI BIOS Updater tool. This tool works only with AMI UEFI BIOS and even with AMI motherboards, it does not support the motherboards using the X99 chipset.
Here is how you can use the UEFI BIOS Updater tool to update the UEFI BIOS:
- Download the UEFI BIOS Updater and extract the contents to a folder.
- Download AMI APTIO 5 MMTool and extract MMTool.exe to the same folder.
- Download the UEFI BIOS update for your motherboard. You can find these from your computer’s manufacturer website. (You cannot find it on AMI website, but on sites of HP, Lenovo, Dell etc.)
- Place the downloaded BIOS file in the same folder as the UEFI BIOS Updater amd MMTool.
- Double-click on the UBU.BAT file and it will automatically flash the BIOS to your motherboard.
The UEFI BIOS Updater tool is only meant for the AMI APTIO UEFI BIOS updates. It cannot be used to work with other types of BIOS like Award, Phoenix, non-UEFI AMI BIOS, Intel BIOS etc. Since the tool from within Windows, it cannot be used to update the older AMI BIOS and works only with the UEFI BIOS. The newer version of the UEFI BIOS Updater uses the APTIO 5 and so it may not work with the UEFI BIOS that APTIO 5 does not support.
However, if you find this tool a little bit complicated to use, then you can go to the official AMI website and download the AMI APTIO firmware update utility. It works with all the motherboards designed by AMI and that have the newer UEFI BIOS.