If you have been tinkering with your Windows 10 PC and trying to stop or disable various system services, then there is a small chance that you might end up messing with one or other of the Windows features. For example, if you disable the Automatic Updates (wuauserv) service in Windows 10, then you won’t be able to download and install any of the apps from Microsoft Store. And they do provide many cool apps such as the new Amazon Alexa app for Windows 10.
So what are you supposed to do if the Windows services have become dysfunctional because of one or other reasons? Fortunately, there is an open-source PowerShell based tool called “Black Viper Service Configuration Script” using which you can restore all the Windows system services back to their original default states. Here is how:
- Download BlackViperScript from https://github.com/madbomb122/BlackViperScript/releases.
- Extract the contents of the downloaded ZIP archive to a folder.
- Click on folder’s File menu and select Open Windows PowerShell → Open Windows PowerShell as administrator.
- In the PowerShell console give these commands
Set-ExecutionPolicy Bypass .\BlackViper-Win10.ps1
- Accept the terms of agreement and you will now see a GUI application titled “Black Viper Service Configuration Script”.
- From the tab Service Options, select Min – Change services that are different from default and then click on the Run Script button.
- When it has finished changing service states, then you can close the Black Viper GUI window. In the PowerShell console enter these commands:
- Reboot Windows 10 for the changes to take effect.
If some features in your Windows 10 PC were not working because of Windows services problem before then now they should work now. It should be noted that this tool only changes the default startup type of these services – for example, if Windows Automatic Updates service has been set to Disabled state then it will change the startup type for this service to automatic. But it won’t add the service entries in the Windows registry if a service is missing or has been deleted.