Microsoft introduced their web browser Internet Explorer more than 25 years ago. Unfortunately, it is now largely abandoned and has a negligible market share. Users have started to use other web browsers such as Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera and Apple Safari. This is because Microsoft took a longer time in introducing new web technologies in the Internet Explorer compared to Chrome or Firefox.
Microsoft has finally decided to retire Internet Explorer after all these years of making it an integral part of their operating system. In their blog post, Microsoft recommended Edge browser for the future. They said that Edge browser provides compatibility for the older, legacy websites and applications.
According to Microsoft, Internet Explorer will be retired by 15th June, 2021 and after that there will be no official support for this browser. They added that websites that were designed for Internet Explorer will continue to work on the new Edge browser at least until 2029.
However, people who want to switch to the Chrome web browser instead of Edge, can quickly follow these steps:
- Download Chrome web browser for Windows from https://www.google.com/chrome/.
- After the installation, it will ask you for setting Chrome as the default web browser – choose Yes.
- After launching Chrome, select menu, then Bookmarks and then Import bookmarks and settings.
- Choose Internet Explorer from the drop-down list and then click on Import.
- Now you can forget about Internet Explorer and start using Chrome.
Chrome web browser is the most popular web browser because it supports the latest web technologies, is very secure and is blazing fast. Google Chrome works on all the platforms including Android and iOS. This means that you can synchronize your settings, bookmarks and history across all of your devices if you have Chrome installed on them. We can install Chrome even on Raspberry Pi with a little effort.