In the newest version of the Google Maps app, we finally get the ability to change the theme. We can change the theme to light, dark or whatever the Android system settings is pointing to. By changing the theme, we can feel more comfortable with the way the screen appears at different times of the day.
The dark theme can be really useful when you are using your Android smartphone in the dark surroundings. When you look at the bright screen at night time, it can put a lot of strain on your eyes and your eyes might feel tired. But by using the dark theme you can reduce this train.
Here is how you can quickly enable the dark theme, light theme or system theme for Google Maps app on Android:
- First of all make sure that you have updated your Google Maps app to the latest version. Google Play store does it automatically, but you can force Play store to update it before all the other apps.
- Launch Google Maps and tap on your user profile icon near the top-right corner.
- From the menu that appears, select Settings to open Google Maps settings.
- On the settings screen, select Theme in order to change the theme related settings.
- From the Theme options, you can choose Always in light theme, Always in dark theme, and Same as device. The last option sets the theme just like the Android system settings.
The dark theme also is a great feature if you are trying to make your smartphone’s battery last much longer. This is because the power consumed by keeping the screen bright is no longer needed when you are using a dark theme. If you are searching for something walking around outside at the night time, then dark mode helps you aesthetically as well.