Everytime I open LibreOffice Writer to compose a new document, it creates a new document with the Letter size page. So I have to change the page size to A4 everytime, because my printer supports only the A4 sheet size. This is very annoying as I have to do this multiple times everyday. Then I found out that I could easily set the default page size in LibreOffice Writer through the default template. Here is how you can set the default document page size in LibreOffice:
- Open LibreOffice Writer application like you usually do.
- To change the document page size from the menubar by selecting Format → Page as shown in the following picture:
- In the window that opens up, you can select not only the page size but also the document margins and the document orientation (portrait or landscape) among other options. Click OK after changing the page size to the one that you want to be the default page size.
- Now from the menubar select File → Save As Template. In the window that shows up, select the My Templates folder and then click on the Save button. You would be asked for a template name – give any name that you want to save the template.
- From the menubar, select File → New → Template. This would open Template Manager window. Double-click on My Templates folder and select the template that you saved in the previous step.
- Click on Set as default button to save the selected template as the default template. Now when you open LibreOffice Writer, this template would be loaded which instructs Writer to load the saved page format and size as well.
Since LibreOffice is a fork of OpenOffice, the instructions to set the default page size in OpenOffice Writer are not much different from the ones described above and can be used in OpenOffice without any problems.