I started using Instagram almost a year ago to keep up with all my friends who had become Instagram addicts by then. They call it IG (pronounced eye gee) in short – “just posted on IG”, “did you check her IG ?”,”oh no, look at that IG comment !”, and so on. As I started to catch up with all the Instagram madness, I soon realized that some strange people have started to follow me – people that I do not know. And what’s more, they are leaving offensive comments on my Instagram posts.
We have already discussed about how you can block annoying people on Instagram. But that usually works if there is just a few trolls that you can block and be done with it. What if trolls are targeting your Instagram profile every single day by creating new and fake identities? In those cases, Instagram provides yet another powerful tool – it allows you to make your Instagram account private.
In order to make your Instagram account private, follow these steps:
- Start by launching the Instagram app in your iPhone or Android device.
- In the Instagram app, tap on the user icon near the bottom-right corner of the app to open your profile.
- On the user profile screen, touch on the menu icon (looks like three vertical dots) to open the profile options.
- On the user profile options screen, tap on the Private Account toggle button and turn it on.
- That’s it. Now your instagram account is private.
After you have switched to private account in Instagram, people cannot automatically start following you. If someone wants to follow you, they would need your approval first. Unapproved people won’t be able to see your photos or videos. This is a great way to keep internet trolls and perverts away from your fun life.