Recently I right-clicked on my Windows 10 desktop and found a new item in the context-menu labeled “Blank this screen”. After researching for a little, I discovered that it is added by a software called Multiscreen Blank. I faintly using this software when I had an external LED monitor attached to the HDMI port of my graphics card. I was experimenting about how to blank all the monitors at the same time. I even have posted about Multiscreen Blank and how it can help you dim or blank all the connected screens on Windows PC.
Multiscreen Blank might add (depending on how to configure its settings) this desktop context-menu item to your PC. But when you uninstall, this context-menu item is left behind for some reason. If you select “Blank this screen”, you will be give an error that file was not found or command is wrong etc.
Here is how we can remove Multiscreen Blank easily without messing with the Windows Registry:
- First of all download Multiscren Blank from https://multiscreenblank.nookkin.com/ and install it on your Windows PC. There are many versions available – you have to use the latest version of Multiscreen Blank.
- Launch Multiscreen Blank and click on the Settings on its window.
- In the settings window, select the checkbox labeled ‘Add “Blank this screen” to desktop context menu‘ and then click on the OK button.
- Once again open the Multiscreen Blank settings. This time unselect the checkbox labeled ‘Add “Blank this screen” to desktop context menu‘ and then click on the OK button.
- Now you can check the “Blank this screen” item from the context-menu of Desktop has been removed.
- Uninstall Multiscreen Blank if it is no longer needed.
This method is the easiest as compared to using the Registry Editor. However, if you must use the Registry Editor, then you can follow these steps:
- Press Win+R and enter regedit in the Run dialog to launch the Windows Registry Editor.
- In the Windows Registry Editor, navigate to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Directory\Background\shell\MultiscreenBlank.
- Right-click on the key MultiscreenBlank and then select Delete from the context-menu.
- Now you can try right-clicking on your Windows desktop to check “Blank this screen” has disappeared.