Windows 7 has a nice tool called Problems Steps Recorder. You can use this tool to generate a file complete with snapshots of your screen and description of each step that leads to a problem you are having on your Windows 7 based computer. Here is how :
- Press the key combination Windows logo key + R to open the Run dialog.
- Type psr.exe in the Run dialog and press Enter. This would open the Problem Steps Recorder window
- To start the recording of a series of events that lead to a problem, click on the button on the left side labeled Start Record. As soon as you start recording the Start Record button turns into Pause Record.
- To pause the recording, click on the button on the left side labeled Pause Record.
- The things you type with your keyboard are not recorded. But if you feel that what you type is an important part of recreating the problem you are trying to solve, then you can click on Pause Record and then click on Add Comment. Hightlight the affected area on your screen using your mouse. Then add the comment in the comment window. Click OK to save the comment.
- When you are done recording the events, click on the button labeled Stop Record. You will be asked to save a ZIP file. Provide the location and a name and the file will be saved. This ZIP archive file contains an MHT file which you can open in any browser like Internet Explorer, Opera etc.