PPTP stands for point-to-point tunneling protocol. This PPTP protocol is utilized to create a VPN (virtual private network) in various operating systems including Windows 8. The benefits of using a PPTP VPN includes having a changed IP address and internet traffic encryption among others. Here is how you can setup PPTP VPN in Windows 8:
Before you proceed, make sure you have the VPN server name along with the VPN server login information (your user name and password) ready. Also, you must be connected to the internet to utilize the PPTP VPN connection.
- Go the Windows desktop by pressing key combination Win + D. Right-click on the network icon in the system tray and select Open Network and Sharing Center.
Alternatively, you can also open Control Panel (by pressing Win + X and selecting Control Panel) and then go to Network and Internet → Network and Sharing Center section.
- Click on Set up a new connection or network in the Network and Sharing Center.
- You will see many options for the new connections. The first option is for creating a new internet connection, the second option is for creating a local network. You have to select the last option – Connect to a workplace as shown. Click Next to continue.
- Next, you have to click on Use my internet connection (VPN) as shown. This option appears only if you are connected to the internet.
- Now you have to enter the VPN server name that you want to connect to. You can also type in the name for the new connection, this can be anything you want. You can select Remember my credentials if you do not want to enter the VPN password again and again. Some free VPN servers change the password regularly. If you are using such a server, then it is better that you do not check this option. Finally, click on the Create button to create the new VPN connection.
- The newly created PPTP VPN connection is an on-demand connection. It stays disconnected unless you manually connect to it. To connect to your new PPTP VPN connection, click on the network icon in system tray and you would see a list of available networks. Click/tap on Connect under the new PPTP VPN connection. You would be asked for login information (user name and password) before a connection is established.
- After the VPN connection is established, you can test to see if your IP address has been changed by visiting http://whatismyipaddress.com/.