If many people use the same computer in a family or an institution like school, then it is always a better idea to make separate Windows accounts for every individual. This way everyone can have their own separate settings like browser bookmarks, desktop wallpapers etc. You can create a new user account easily in Windows XP. For creating a new user account, you must have computer administrator level privileges. Here is how you can create a new user account in Windows XP :
- Open Control Panel from its Start Menu shortcut. In the Control Panel, click on User Accounts.
- In the User Accounts window, click on Create a new account.
- Type in the username for the new account. You can type the actual first name of the person for whom you are creating this account. Click on the Next button to continue.
- Choose an account type. You can choose the new account to be either an Administrator or a Limited account. The limited user account is also called the standard user account. The administrator level account has access to everything on your computer and can access all the settings. The limited account user cannot make changes system settings and cannot install new sofwtare. If you creating a new account for your kids or students, then choose the Limited account type. Click on the Create Account button to proceed.
- That’s it. You have successfully created a new user account.